Saturday, June 9, 2007

it's never about one thing



Lines are links that connect one or more related thing or system. I see my work in this way - a system of interconnected lines, ideas, and relationships. When I first began the bee project in 2005, I was thinking about the Morse code system of communication - I had been reading that during WWII the UK used a group of women trained as code readers to pinpoint enemy troop movement. These readers were Not code breakers. They decerned the slight changes between the length of the spaces between the dots and dashes in the morse code system. The spaces between the dots and dashes were unique to each individual and enabled the readers to create a profile for the sender. It proved to be trustworthy method of intelligence. I began making the bee project entitled 'spaces' during the time of this read - connecting it to my relationship and communication with my Grandmother Frances. A second piece entitled 'company' also came out of this vein of thought where I was thinking about how we are joined through spaces.. This idea is contray to the notion that space usually separates us or creates a barrier between two things or systems.

No comments: